Loading...
coa.Anderson Park.History NAME: Anderson Park ADDRESS: 1101 East Cooper Avenue LEGAL DESCRIPTION: Lot 2, Anderson Subdivision, according to the Recorded Second Amended Plat, Reception #582868 thereof in Plat Book 97 at page 93. DATE PURCHASED: Lot 1 in 1999 & traded for Lot 2 on 4/3/2011 HOW FUNDED: Pitkin County Open Space & Trails and City of Aspen Open Space Funds. LEGISLATION: Ordinance No. 10, Series of 2011, Resolution No. 25, Resolution No. 25, 2011 DEED: Quit Claim Deed, Reception #587152 03/02/2012 This park is named for Bill & Hildur Anderson who where first generation Colorado pioneers. Their parents came from Sweden and settled in Colorado. Hildur’s parents settled in Aspen and were miners in the silver mines. Bill & Hildur operated Anderson Stables at their homesite (Anderson Park). Hildur Anderson helped to shape the town of Aspen through her years of teaching and contributions to the community. She was inducted into the Aspen Hall of Fame in 1994 In 1996, City Council approved the Anderson Subdivision Lot Split, which created Lots 1 & 2. That same year Lot 2 was sold to the Orr family, subsequently Lot 1 was sold to the City in 1999. Lot 1 was known as Anderson Park. The Parks Dept. and the Orr family negotiated the re-configuration of Lot 2 “in a manner that both parties’ objectives could be met.” The Orr family agreed to trade lots and it won voter approval at the May 3, 2011 election. Now Lot 2 is known as Anderson Park.