Loading...
coa.Glory Hole Park.History NAME: Glory Hole Park ADDRESS: Ute Ave. & Original St. LEGAL DESCRIPTION: The Ute Addition, Lot 33 City of Aspen, Pitkin County DATE PURCHASED: 1952 HOW FUNDED: Donation LEGISLATION: Ordinance #34, 1992, Resolution #21 on July 18, 1966 DEED: Quit Claim Deed in 1952 from DRG&W Railroad. Glory Hole Parks is located on the site above what was the Argenturm-Juaniata mine. The pond at the park is what remains of a large sinkhole that formed in 1918, when a mining stope in the mine tunnel beneath the ground collapsed. The hole formed under the railroad tracks of the Colorado Midland Railroad, causing two cars to fall into the ground. The Colorado Midland Railroad was later turned over to DRG&W Railroad. The name Glory Hole obviously refers to the sinkhole, but we do not know who first called it that and the exact background of the name. The original parcel was 1.41 acres. A total of .21 acres was sold in 1962 & 1964 leaving Glory Hole Park at 1.2 acres. This land was permanently dedicated and set aside for use by the public for parks and recreation purposes by resolution in July 1966. A competition for the design of Glory Hole Park was a project of PCPA; in 1967. Application was made to the Colorado Department of Game, Fish and Parks for a grant to aid in the development of the park. In 1969 the city received $5300 for funding. In 1992 the City Council found that this municipally- owned property, possess historic value and is historically important to the heritage of the City and citizens of Aspen and was added to the 1992 Inventory of Non-Landmark Historic Sites.